FAST 2011

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Solid Life Church Daily Blog by Pastor Russ

Well it’s day four which means that some of you are modifying your fast today.  For those of you who have been fasting everything except for water since Sunday, let me just say, well done!  For those of you who have struggled and have had a level of success but didn’t quit achieve your goal, let me just encourage you by saying that God will reward your best effort.  For many of you, this is the first time you have ever gone more than a couple of hours without some kind of food so don’t beat yourself up and decide to throw in the towel at this point.  Our 21 day fast has just begun and like me, you’re probably feeling a bit tired and weak.  At the same time like me you’re probably already experiencing God on a whole new level.  Can I tell you that it only gets better.  God’s Word tells us that when we are weak, He is strong so you are beginning to let Him take over and be strong for you.

Don’t forget to add a significant amount of prayer and reading of His Word as you fast.  You will find that He will satisfy your hunger and you will even be thinking at times, “I wouldn’t trade this feeling of closeness with my Savior for anything.”

I hope that you are starting out strong this year and are participating in our daily devotional reading plan as a church.  It takes about 20 minutes for the reading which will be the best investment of time for you each day.  The Word of God is here to teach and to train us on how to live a better more abundant life here are on earth.  Ultimately, as I say every Sunday, the Word of God is a road map that will lead us to eternal life with God.  Implementing the discipline of reading His Word daily will change your life.  If you will spend an additional 20 minutes a day journaling what the Lord is saying directly to you, you will find that your perspective changes from it being a daily discipline to being a longing to hear from God each day.  If you do not have a journal, you can purchase one on Sunday.  We always have them available on the back table.  If you would like more information about it click S.O.A.P. on our web site and learn what this overall program looks like.  Again, it will change your life.

For those of you who are reading daily know that on Monday we read the account where Esau traded his birth right to his brother Jacob for a bowl of stew.  This was the second day of our fast when my hunger pains were attempting to get the best of me.  I thought to myself what would I be willing to trade for ANY kind of food at that moment.  Many things did come to mind.  We are not told how many days that Esau had gone without food, we are just told that he was famished and felt that he would soon die without it.  Obviously he was desperate enough that he was willing to trade off his birth right, the blessing associated back then with being the first born son.  I’m feeling more famished now on day four than that first day, but the Lord has been reminding me that I too have a birthright that belongs to me.  There is nothing, not even a bowl of stew, or cold stone ice cream, or even Carrabba’s,,,,,well maybe,,,,no not even Carrabba’s, worth trading my birth right.   Because of my birth right I can claim Philippians 4:13 at times like this; “I can do everything through Him, (including a fast) who gives me strength.”  Claim that for yourselves as well.

Stay strong and true to the commitment you made with yourself and with God.  I am praying for you daily.

I love you all very much and I love being your pastor and friend!

Pastor Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment